Hype is alive and well online. Honestly, it’s always been around. Get rich quick schemes will never go away. People looking to ‘get rich quick’ without putting forth effort will always be walking around breathing and because of that.. they are an easy target. Like those we see standing in line to buy lottery tickets or those that seem to always collect Multi-Level marketing ‘starter kits’ but never follow-thru with the ‘selling’ part. They hit that wall where things get ‘hard’ or maybe they don’t even start at all.
Well, online it’s known as ‘bright, shiny, object’ syndrome and man is it ever out there…. grabbing your attention with pings, dings and every other noise and flash that will get our attention long enough and attempt to suck us into yet another marketing ‘tactic’ or worse… a BIG fat lie.
I’m going to tell you 6 Lies that some marketing Guru’s like to tell so that you can avoid their wrath.
You see, it’s not supposed to be this way. You should be able to turn that investment into money and you will ….. when you start doing the work! When you STOP and listen and APPLY…you will make money with any business you have…and YES, online.
The 6 Lies Online Marketing Guru’s Like to Tell:
1. They sell you tactics, NOT strategies– Building a business is hard work. It’s not about a few tactics that turn into half a million dollars in 3 months. It’s not about playing on Facebook or other social media outlets or being thrown in (a FB group like a playpen to make you feel safe). Frankly, it can be a total waste of time if you don’t know what you’re doing or if you’ve not been given the proper tools and strategies. You’ve got to have a complete step-by-step system not just a tactic or two because it makes you feel like it will be easier. Much like the MD that gives you a placebo only to get you out of their office and off their back that’s what I feel like some of these Guru’s do. You need to test, track and tweak what you’re doing. You need to know how to buy and sell ads if and when need be, how to write HOT copy and how to write email sequences. You can’t do this by purchasing a Facebook for Dummies home program and become an overnight sensation. It doesn’t work like that. You’ve got to be prepared to actually implement what they’re telling you to do. Trust me, it can be done and it WILL change your life… but you’ve got to focus long enough to do the work or you will be deterred by every shiny object and Facebook Group you paid to be included in and get nothing done.
2. They leave out so many details it’s an incomplete product– This should be a crime. Seriously a product that costs you $2,500.00 and it’s a binder with a flow-chart that looks like my daughter put it together in one of her 5th grade social studies classes. Sometimes they are so vague I want to say…Really? people are buying this? Seriously? There are so many holes in some of these marketing guru’s products it’s unreal. It’s like they sold you a bucket full of holes and are telling you use it to go grab water from the well. There are fundamentals and the fundamentals DO work!
3. They throw in a bonus called the Million Dollar Rolo-Dex- you find out later it only made THEM a million dollars to call it that and it’s full of generic information you could find on Youtube while looking up ‘how to reboot your computer’. A Rolo-Dex should have actual resources that lead to a person or referral that leads to getting work done. Not a list of affiliate products you can buy using their affiliate link that makes them yet another million dollars and leaves you not knowing how to use the product you just bought because you thought it would lead to answers. This is misleading. Again, resources CAN be like GOLD …. if that’s what they are. I know colleagues that went broke maxing out their credit cards to buy affiliate programs they were NOT ready for yet because the pressure was so strong and they just simply needed to know the fundamentals and get to work and make money. I was able to boot-strap my business in the beginning by learning the fundamentals and buying programs that taught me what I needed to know along the way. You can too.
4. They lead you to believe they became a millionaire over night- They don’t share the details of their struggle and how long it took them. They stand on stage and act as if their $2,000 product will turn you into a overnight online millionaire super-star just like them and what’s this ‘create fame’ stuff? It cracks me up. So, if you create FAME then you’ll be a Millionaire? No, FAME does not always equal income. I’ve seen people with more Twitter followers than Obama and they aren’t making bank. I’ve also known those that don’t have a following to brag about but they’re making a quarter of a million a year and happy with it. It will all depend on finding the right fundamental systems to put into place and applying them. The answer is all in systems and doing the work. It never happens over night. It ALWAYS happens with diligence. Period. Things done a certain way, everyday and every single quarter until the numbers grow.
5. They have a stream of testimonial’s sitting on stage telling you they each made a million dollars and leave out the part where they paid the marketing guru $100,000.00 to do it AND still worked like a dog for a year as they try to sell you a $10,000 program …..as if you’ll get the same result. U-Huh. Okay, we’re not in Kindergarten anymore people. Some of us drink coffee and not so much the Kool-Aid. Learn the business fundamentals, apply the business fundamentals and start seeing results.